07 June 2010

The Saturday Scramble


Saturday was all about getting little errands done and getting the final pieces I needed to pull the apartment refresh together. Friday night I took a spill with a big dresser drawer in my hands. Really banged up my left shin and foot. Iced them for quite a while and while resting talked to a beloved sister for a while -- the BEST therapy.

Then I got on a roll, even though it was late and kept working and working into the early morning hours. I organized a chest of drawers, reorganized a big closet, sifted through cupboards of toiletries and towels, put up a new shower curtain, organized a car load of thrift store donations, threw out trash and recycled boxes and paper.

After all I'd accomplished I felt I could let myself sleep in on Saturday morning, but my internal alarm woke me right up at 8. I started thinking about all I wanted to get accomplished and that got me very motivated.

I headed out the door towards Deseret Industries in downtown L.A. Once my load was unloaded, I figured I might as well sneak in for a peek. Turns out I found two lowly little pieces that I could not resist. I found a ratty old 2-shelf bookcase that I thought might be repurposed and refreshed and then found a bench decoupaged with prints of vintage seed packets -- so very 90s. I got both pieces for $20. I also found a pile of small wood letters and pieced together "b-e-d" which I thought could be fun over the twin bed in bedroom two. That was another $1.50.

Then I jumped on the 110 to Carson Ikea. I bought a very inexpensive but great bookcase, two beautiful pots, a new house plant, two baskets to use as storage on the new bookcase and a bunch of magazine storage cases to organize paper. The last 30 minutes of my IKEA visit I was really starting to get overwhelmed as so often happens when you try to accomplish a lot at IKEA. I find I start making and unmaking decisions and can't move forward. And usually end up regretting I didn't get something. It was good to get out of there into the fresh air again.

I took a detour to Home Depot on the way home. Grabbed a beautiful ivy plant, another house plant and some organic disease spray for my tomatoes. I was very impressed with Home Depot's indoor plant selection. They had a huge variety, in a variety of sizes and the plants looked really healthy across the board. The staff was helpful, friendly and cheery, especially for a busy Saturday afternoon.

Next stop, the interior fabrics shop. I should have made this my first stop because I was in decision paralysis by the time I got there. I had my chair with me so I took it in and then totally second-guessed my initial fabric choice. In the end I went with my initial choice.

I came home, unloaded the car and fell on my bed and woke up 90 minutes later. I couldn't wait to continue working. I needed paint for my two new furniture pieces and quickly rode to the hardware store picked up a small can of paint, primer and Olde English Oil.

Whew. Then the projects work began, which went late into the night. I'll tell you more about it soon.

photo via

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...