15 October 2012

Splurge On What You Love

image via

On a late night recently I went to the kitchen to make a cup of tea and a little toast. I pulled out and filled the electric kettle, put the bread in the toaster and then reached for a mug and tea bag. I thought about my favorite tea and how much it costs and said to myself, Maybe you shouldn't spend so much on that expensive tea.

Then I had a revolutionary thought. Yes, you should buy your favorite tea and you should enjoy every minute of it! Spend less on things that don't matter to you so that you can afford to splurge on things that make you really happy. You deserve to enjoy your life.

It was a moment where all the noise in my head, all the questions I'd been mulling were answered. It was such a simple idea. Maybe it originated weeks ago when I started listening to Dave Ramsey cds my sister gave me. Maybe it was spawned from my deep cleaning efforts of the past two weeks and how many times I've found things that I honestly didn't even know I owned: shoes, books and other things. This has disturbed me a bit. Or perhaps it came from my wonderings about what we really need in life and what I could get rid of. I have learned to be pretty frugal, but still I could be smarter with my spending.

But it clicked for me in a whole new way when I got the fact that if I don't spend on things that don't matter, I will have plenty of money for the things I really, really want to have in my life. That's pretty powerful and opens up windows and doors to things that I don't always freely allow myself.

I think we all can come up with a list of things we throw money at that we would be willing to give up for what we really want. I guess it's the same with habits, what we eat and how we spend out time. What "so-so" things are we willing to give up so we can have the "I'm living my dreams" life?

I am sure this is not a one time conversation I will have with myself. Thanks goodness I have a great, delicious, favorite cup of tea that I love to accompany me on my journey while I learn just what I CAN splurge on and what I'm willing to GIVE UP to have them.

Want to see my favorite tea?

1 comment:

JoAnna of re-U creating new spaces said...

Hi! I'm a BYW class mate. I really enjoyed reading this post & I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...