29 April 2013

Home Reorganization Project: Week 10

image via

It's a big week coming up for the Home Reorganization Project. I'm taking on the worst project yet. Organizing The Man's files and paperwork. I already spent a day on this a few weeks ago but have one more day to go at least. I could do more, but I don't know how deep I'll start digging into things for my own sanity's sake.

I am going to tackle his workspace which admittedly has been a bit ignored by me as I have stacked mail and papers there in the daily rush of things. I bought supplies to pull it all together this week at the office supply store. I am going to choose some fun TV series to have on in the background as I go to town on that section of the house. Not excited about it but excited to have it done. My excitement for it to be over is really motivating me right now!

I still have a few papers on my desk that need to find a home. 

I have been enjoying the fruits of my labors these past ten weeks. Can't believe how fast that time has gone. There are still a few nooks and crannies that need to be gone through. Some of that will have to wait until after The Man gets back. There just isn't enough time and energy. I guess that is the big learning lesson of this week for me. When you try to take on a big project and you think about it and plan it out the best you can, it probably won't happen or turn out exactly as you expected but you'll sure get a lot closer to your goal than if you didn't start at all.

Over the summer I'll keep working on some of these lesser projects and maybe I'll even be able to just keep up this momentum to keep things well organized in general and with less need for major overhauls. I would love to think that will happen!

Another lesson I am learning that I remember from my youth is that when you get about 90% done with a reorganization project you do get down to some things that are still hard to find a home for and you do sometimes just have to find a place to shove those things because they don't have a logical home, things to group them with or a most practical place to put them. I am learning to be okay with that. Life is never going to be perfect but our efforts to maintain order sure make it a lot better.

This has been a great journey and despite the fact that I have been big in to organizing for a long time, going about it in this way has taught me some amazingly valuable lessons. I find it less annoying and unpleasant now that I've learned to take it one day at a time. I've also learned to let go of putting perfectionist pressure on myself. It doesn't have to be perfect it just has to work for me and my family. Instead of focusing on a perfect home I am focusing on a happy, healthy family. Now having an organized and tidy home plugs into that goal and how it helps us do that rather than being a higher priority. That's big!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...