21 July 2016

A Gift For Self: Indian Handcrafted Turquoise & Sterling Silver Jewelry

A few weeks ago I completed a pretty big personal journey and felt it deserved to be marked with a reward. I decided to stop by a local downtown jewelry and handcrafted arts shop to see if there was a special something with a unique New Mexico flavor I could add to my jewelry collection - turquoise and sterling silver jewelry.


I have always loved the more classic side of Boho Style and turquoise and silver definitely live in that space. So it seemed the perfect end of something, new beginning of great new things present for myself.

I walked around that jewelry department at least five or six times. There were beautiful necklaces, earring, bracelets, watches, silver and leather belts -- so many amazing things! At some point I narrowed down what I wanted to a bracelet and perhaps a pair of earrings. I tried on a lot of bracelets in different colors and designs. I wanted to find something that really spoke to me.

That has been a theme of mine that I've been thinking about a lot lately. I am reaching a point in my life where I just want to be authentically and uniquely me. I don't want to wear or own things I don't love. I don't want to do things because I feel like I should when it's absolutely 100% something I don't want to do. I had a funny conversation with a friend about that a few days ago. It went something like this. To set the stage, there was a big event cultural event I felt I "should" go to.

Then I said, "I don't like that form of art at all...why would I go to that? No one is telling me I should.....I'm not going. I don't need to go and I don't need to feel like I "should" go. I just don't have to go." Now granted I am a complete believer in the power of just saying yes and trying something new, but that doesn't mean I need to do things that I already know don't make me happy because I think I should. There's a fine line.

So anyway, (tangent recovery) the store was really warm and as I was shopping I was getting more drenched with perspiration. But I didn't want to let that impede me from making the best choice possible. I really wanted to make sure I made a good decision and didn't just spend money on impulse. By the time I got to the cashier, the entire underneath side of my hair was dripping wet from the heat in the store.


In the end, I purchased this beautiful cuff bracelet with rows of small, squarish turquoise stones set in four rows. The sides are punched sterling silver and it is one of the most beautiful bracelets I've ever laid my eyes on. I love it that day and every time I look at it I feel like I hit the nail on the head. Will keep it for a family heirloom.


I also picked up a pair of earrings and this time I went with a complete, quintessential New Mexico style. Can't you just see me in a white blouse with a sterling silver chain belt, a ruffled denim skirt and cowboy boots headed to a New Mexico social event. That might be a little over the top, haha, but it's fun to imagine. I do love that these will go with just about anything and work well with my bracelet too. It's fun to splurge every once in a while and I think it's good for the soul. I'm looking forward to enjoying these pieces for years to come.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...